Thursday, July 17, 2008

Wal Mart to Customers: Keep Your Monkey Where It Belongs!

Well, I kept it tame, but feel free to insert your own monkey jokes where appropriate. This might be the lawsuit of the day: woman sues Wal Mart (and her local health agency and Cox Health Systems) for discriminating against her and her monkey, a 10 year old macaque, named Richard [insert additional joke]. According to the Kansas City Star:

Debby Rose of Springfield said in the lawsuit that the 10-year-old bonnet macaque helps curb a social anxiety disorder that can cause her to have panic attacks in public.

The suit contends the Springfield-Greene County Health Department lacked the authority to decide that Richard is not a service animal under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Health officials in 2006 sent letters to restaurants and grocery stores, advising them not to let Rose in with the monkey.

Rose also alleges she was denied access to Cox Health Systems facilities.

Hmm interesting. I'll be honest, I've never seen anyone walking around with an actual monkey. And in middle America, no less. But apparently Cox Health Systems and Wal Mart aren't her only detractors. Coincidentally today, I happened upon former US Senator George Allen and, being a prominent former politician, I asked his opinion. Defending the retail giant, Mr. Allen said "people who walk around with macaques aren't 'real' Americans." His tone seemed angry. Though I could see him being bitter towards macaques. Mr. Allen then asked if I'd like to "super size" my meal for only $0.49 more. I declined.

No comments: